First of all this Buyer job description has been created based on a lot of research and a comparison of good amount of Buyer job advertisements that have been placed on the internet in 2017.
If you would like to add any additional information onto this buyer job description please let us know by using the contact us form.
What Does a Buyer Do?
As a buyer it is your primary objective to source and purchase products that the business requires.
You will do this by liaising with current suppliers and distributors to ensure the business gets the best deals.
Almost all Buyer responsibilities are varied based on the type of business or project they are working on. Therefore we have listed the most popular responsibilities below:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with suppliers.
- Making sure purchase orders are raised and receipted in a timely manner.
- Ensuring time delivery of products and compliance with the contracts of purchase.
- Representing the stakeholders needs.
- Ensuring timely renewal of all contracts.
- Reporting cost movements and other performance issues to line management.
Below are the general tasks that a Buyer will be completing on a day to day basis.
- Prepare requisition and purchase orders through to placing an order.
- Deal with stakeholder queries.
- Maintaining and monitoring budget tracking spreadsheets for projects.
- Resolving payment and account queries.
- Updating the buyer systems.
- Identify new suppliers.
- Good IT skills and knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Ability to understand complex requirements.
- Excellent organisational and leadership.
- Strong negotiating skills.
Qualifications and Training
The median expected salary for a buyer role is $47,500 in the USA, €30,000 in Europe and £29,500 if you live in the UK. Below is the buyer expected salary broken down by the amount of years experience you have in the position.
|0 to 2 Years.||2 to 5 Years.||Over 5 Years.|
|US Salary||$37,000 – $45,000.||$45,000 – $52,000.||$52,000 – $58,000.|
|EU Salary||€17,000 – €28,000.||€28,000 – €35,000.||€35,000 – €43,000.|
|UK Salary||£19,000 – £24,000.||£24,000 – £30,000.||£30,000 – £40,000.|
While the Buyer position is a good role to be in with over 4 out of 5 people satisfied with there career, it does also produce great opportunities to progress into. Listed below are some of these roles that you can progress to.
- Purchasing Manager.
- Supply Chain Manager.
- Procurement Manager.
- Category Manager.
Buyer Job Description Template
In conclusion of this post we have posted our job description template for you to download and use for your companies buyer job description.