This Project Engineer job description has been created based on numerous research and a comparison of a large number of Project Engineer job adverts that have been advertised online.
An Project Engineers job is to oversee engineering projects within a business environment to ensure the project is run to plan and is completed successfully.
The Project Engineer does this by managing resources, the budget, safety & legal requirements and the project plan.
Project Engineer Responsibilities
An Project Engineers roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Agreeing project objectives.
- Organizing and managing the project team.
- Representing the stakeholders needs.
- Managing the risk’s within a project.
- Keep track of people and there progress within a project.
- Monitoring progress and meeting standards for costs, timescales and quality.
- Ensure all of the aims of a project are met.
- Evaluating and signing off completed tasks.
Project Engineer Tasks
Below are the general tasks that a project engineer will be completing on a day to day basis.
- Keep an eye on all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements
- Interpret clients’ requirements
- Creating and maintaining engineering documentation.
- Producing reports for senior management.
- Organize and lead project meetings.
- Evaluate, organise and prioritize workload within a schedule.
- Liaise with third party contractors to ensure all equipment is fit for purpose.
- Take responsibility for a team of engineers.
- Advanced IT skills and knowledge.
- The ability to explain design ideas and plans clearly.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to understand complex requirements.
- The ability to work within budgets and to deadlines
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- A comprehensive knowledge of relevant legal regulations.
Qualifications and Training
To become an Project Engineer you would will need a HND/HNC or a degree in an engineering subject.
To find out more about a HND/HNC please check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Certificate.
The best way of starting your career path to become a Project Engineer would be to sign up to Pluralsight where there are hundreds of incredible Project Engineering courses to be watched.
You can sign up by clicking here.
Project Engineer Salary
The expected average salary for an Project Engineer is $56,000 in the USA, €47,000 in Europe and £45,000 if you live in the United Kingdom. Below we have listed the average salary by years of experience in the job role.
|0 to 2 Years.||2 to 5 Years.||Over 5 Years.|
|US Salary||$28,000 – $40,000.||$40,000 – $62,000.||$62,000 – $85,000.|
|EU Salary||€24,000 – €32,000.||€32,000 – €39,000.||€39,000 – €70,000.|
|UK Salary||£22,000 – £28,000.||£28,000 – £35,000.||£35,000 – £65,000.|
While the Project Engineer position is a great role, it also brings good opportunities to progress. Listed below are some of the roles that you can move into.
- Mechanical Engineer
- Construction Project Manager
- Civil Engineer
Project Engineer Job Description Template
Download this Project Engineer job description as a simple word document that you can edit by clicking the download button below.