First of all this Secretary job description has been created based on various research and a comparison of multiple secretary job adverts that have been advertised online in 2016.
Secretaries fulfil one of the most important roles within an office environment. They are generally the first point of contact between external businesses and the internal team.
A secretary’s role is very varied and it ranges from the basic tasks such as opening the post to more complicated tasks such as scheduling a conference meeting in a different country.
Almost all of the main Secretaries responsibilities are listed below.
- Organise and maintain company records.
- Keeping meeting rooms tidy and maintaining the booking schedule.
- Taking messages and making sure they get to the correct person.
- Enforcing and maintaining company office procedures.
- Maintaining event calendars.
Below are the general tasks that a general secretary will be completing on a day to day basis.
- Greeting visitors and answering incoming phone calls.
- Routing phone calls to the correct department and resolving information requests.
- Scheduling travel arrangements and meetings.
- Opening of postal items and sending post.
- Maintaining paper and electronic files.
- Developing office procedures.
- Great communication skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Proficient IT skills.
- Audio typing.
Qualifications and Training
Generally most secretary jobs do not require specific training however there are secretarial courses that are available to do.
The expected average salary for a secretary is $25,000 within the United States, €21,500 and £20,000 in the UK. Below is a table containing the average salary based on your years of experience within the job role.
|0 to 2 Years.||2 to 5 Years.||Over 5 Years.|
|US Salary||$22,000 – $25,000.||$25,000 – $28,000.||$32,000 – $28,000.|
|EU Salary||€15,000 – €19,000.||€19,000 – €25,000.||€25,000 – €28,000.|
|UK Salary||£14,000 – £18,000.||£18,000 – £23,000.||£23,000 – £26,000.|
While the secretary position is a great job on itself, it does open up the following career paths for you to move into.
- Office Manager.
- Project Coordinator.
- Personal Assistant.
Secretary Job Description Template
In conclusion of this post we have put together a job description template using Microsoft Word for you to download and create your perfect secretary job description.