This Waiter job description has been written based on a excellent amount of research and a comparison of waiter job adverts that have been placed on the internet in 2017.
If you would like to add any additional information onto this waiter job description please let us know by using the contact us form.
What Does a Waiter Do?
As a waiter it is your main objective to take orders from customers while also serving food and drink.
As well as the above you will also take payment from customers and any other reasonable requests that the customers request.
Listed below are the main responsibilities a waiter will need to deal with on a day to day basis:
- Provide an extremely high level of customer service at all times.
- Maintain a friendly attitude and positive vibe.
- Follow all relevant health and safety guidelines.
- Keep your area clean at ready for new customers.
Below are the general duties that you will be completing on a day to day basis.
- Greeting customers and presenting them with the menu.
- Preparing tables for guests.
- Delivering food and beverages.
- Checking identifications to ensure patrons meet age requirements for alcoholic beverages.
- Cleaning tables after customers have finished their meals.
- Preparing bills and taking payments.
- Ensuring the customers have everything they need and there meals are satisfactory.
As a waiter you will need:
- Excellent people skills.
- The ability to handle stressful situations.
- Basic written and verbal communication.
- Good organisation.
- Basic physical fitness and physical balance.
- Great sales and negotiation skills.
- Basic numeracy skills for handling cash.
Qualifications and Training
There are currently no required qualifications or training to become a waiter but there is internal training provided by nearly all waiter jobs.
While it is not necessary to have any qualification to become a waiter, most experienced people in this position will have a personal alcohol license.
The median expected salary for this job role is $21,000 in the US, €16,000 in Europe and £14,500 if you live in the UK. Below is the waiter salary broken down by the amount of experience you have in the position.
|0 to 2 Years.||2 to 5 Years.||Over 5 Years.|
|US Salary||$17,000 – $19,000.||$19,000 – $22,000.||$22,000 – $25,000.|
|EU Salary||€13,000 – €14,000.||€14,000 – €17,000.||€17,000 – €19,000.|
|UK Salary||£12,000 – £14,000.||£14,000 – £15,000.||£15,000 – £17,000.|
While the waiter position is a great role to be in with 4 out 5 people highly satisfied with the job role there it does open up other opportunities for you to progress into, we’ve listed these below:
- Restaurant Manager.
- Head Waiter.
- Restaurant Supervisor.
Waiter Job Description Template
In conclusion of this post we have posted a link to our job description template for you to download and use to create your companies waiter job description.